- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup molasses
- ¾ cup hot water
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 9-inch pie shell, frozen
- 8 servings
- 20 minutes prep, 40 minutes cook
1. Preheat the oven to 450 F.
2. Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Cube the butter into ½-inch pieces and add it to the bowl.
4. With your hands, break down the butter into the dry ingredients, then use a whisk until the mixture looks like small crumbs.
5. In a medium bowl, combine the molasses and hot water.
6. Add ¾ cup of the crumb mixture and mix well.
7. Pour the contents into the frozen pie shell and top with the rest of the crumb mixture.
8. Bake the pie for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 F and bake it for 25 minutes more.
9. Let the pie cool for 1 hour before slicing, and serve it warm, topped with whipped cream and cinnamon if desired.