Monument, Colorado, USA - December 26, 2014: Keurig k-cup coffee maker with three k-cup pods. Keurig is popular

Food - News

Why You Shouldn't Leave Water Sitting In Your Keurig
If you have a Keurig, it's important to know the do's and don'ts of taking proper care of it, and generally speaking, one of the biggest don'ts is leaving water in your coffee maker. Overnight or even for a couple of days is fine, but you definitely don't want to leave water in your Keurig for a week or longer.
Keeping water in your Keurig for too long enables the growth of mold and bacteria, as well as limescale; while limescale will mainly affect your coffee's taste, ingesting mold or bacteria can make you very sick. The best way to prevent any kind of growth inside your coffee maker is to stay ahead of build-up.
Clean and descale your coffee maker regularly by running vinegar or citric acid through brewing cycles, rinse with hot water, and voila, your Keurig is ready to make your next cup of coffee. For less fuss, Keurig also offers special cleaning pods to help ensure you're drinking tasty, germ-free coffee.