What You Should Know Before Grilling Indoors

Barbequing your favorite cut of meat, fish, or even vegetables may have you consider grilling inside, especially if the weather isn't warm enough or favorable. Or maybe you don't have an outdoor space for a small BBQ, but you figure that there's no problem using it indoors. But you'll want to reconsider any ideas or plans for enjoying food cooked over charcoal inside your home.  As much as you may be inspired or determined to have your food cooked over an open flame, there is one thing you must know that you should never do indoors.

You should never use an outdoor grill inside. You may think that you can come up with creative ways to do so, and have implemented tactics to ensure the smoke goes out a window or exits through the stove exhaust, but don't try it, as FoodFireFriends cautions. It's not worth the risks of putting yourself, friends, or family in serious danger.

Grilling indoors can be fatal

So what's the big deal about moving an outdoor BBQ inside for a steak sizzling over charcoal? The truth is, using a charcoal grill indoors is very dangerous and could be harmful to your health and everyone in your home. There are different dangers that could occur, but one of the biggest is being exposed to carbon monoxide. The problem is, it often builds up undetected. You can't see it, so you don't have any idea that you're being exposed to it. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "More than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO [carbon monoxide] poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized" every year. 

Although lighting up your small BBQ inside may seem like no big deal, "Burning charcoal — red, gray, black, or white — gives off CO. Never burn charcoal indoors," states the CDC.

No matter how much you're craving grilled food, the simple and short pleasure is not worth the high risks that comes from using an outdoor grill indoors.