Here's How To Tell If Your Mushrooms Have Gone Bad

Mushrooms are the kind of food that can slip into the back of your refrigerator and sit until they are slimy if you're not careful. But, the fungi are so versatile in a wide range of dishes, it's completely understandable that you might want to keep them on hand to toss into stir fries, omelets, pasta dishes, and more. Throwing mushrooms in with whatever you are cooking is a fast and easy way to add more "meat" without adding a ton of calories too. While it might just be easier to buy dried mushrooms and reconstitute them, you should probably know what to look for when mushrooms go bad — especially if you don't want to accidentally get sick.

The good news is that if you do happen to eat a bad mushroom, it most likely won't be a huge deal. Mushroom poisoning from store-bought mushrooms is very unlikely. However, if you eat mushrooms well past their prime, you might get an upset stomach or feel sick. So, try to store them right and use them within a reasonable timeframe (via Leaf).

Look for these signs to tell if mushrooms are bad

The first and one of the easiest signs to look for in bad mushrooms is a slimy texture. This typically happens when the mushrooms have been in the fridge for too long, but they're not dangerous to eat at this stage either. It's just less appetizing and normal for most people to throw them out at this point. Your sense of smell is another good indicator. If the mushrooms give off a strong, noticeable odor the second you open the package, then toss them (via Delishably).

If each of the whole mushrooms is looking dark or if they have dark spots popping up, then they're bad. Mushrooms might start to wrinkle, too. A few where its dried out a bit is okay, but if they are really shriveled, just get rid of the fungi. If the mushrooms stick around for more than two weeks, you should be using them pretty quickly. After that, the mushrooms will really start to show signs of going bad.