This Iconic Australian Dish Is One Of Nicole Kidman's Favorite Foods

Nicole Kidman isn't just dedicated to her acting career — she's also dedicated to living a healthy lifestyle. According to the "Big Little Lies" star, she follows an 80/20 diet to fuel and nourish her body without feeling too restricted. The concept is simple: She tries to eat "well" 80% of the time and allows herself to have less nutritious treats the other 20% of the time (via Women's Health). "I'm actually not that strict with my diet. I pretty much eat anything, but all in moderation," she explained to the Los Angeles Times back in 2014.

As for what goes into the 20% of her diet that's fun foods, Kidman admits she has a few secret pleasures. While some of us reach for a package of Oreos, a bag of Doritos, or a pint of Ben & Jerry's, the actress' indulgence of choice is something a little more unique. In an interview with Food & Wine, the 54-year-old celeb revealed that "sausage sizzle" was one of her favorite treats as a child. Here's what you need to know about the Australian dish that Kidman can't get enough of.

Sausage sizzle is a staple in Australian cuisine

If you don't live in Australia (or have never visited), it's likely that you've never heard of a sausage sizzle. However, the dish is very popular Down Under, and has been a traditional Australian food for decades. Sometimes called sausage in bread or a sausage sandwich, it's often more of an event (similar to a fish fry or potluck) than just a plain old meal, as food blog 196 Flavors reports. Carne Diem also explains that the dish may be called "Democracy Sausages" given that it's often eaten on Election Day.

A classic sausage sizzle consists of a grilled sausage served on white bread and topped with grilled onions and a drizzle of tomato sauce. According to a survey by, there are a variety of ways to enjoy your sausages. Most people prefer the "Bunnings way" of making it sizzle, wherein a beef frank is folded in between a slice of bread. However, others use pork sausages, swap out buns for bread, and add mustard, mayo, or BBQ sauce with their ketchup-like tomato sauce.