You Should Stop Using Vegetable Oil. Here's Why

The word vegetable in vegetable oil is a bit of a misnomer, if you ask us. This pale golden colored oil's name is given out in a seemingly liberal manner. In fact, any oil that comes from a plant gets the name vegetable oil. However — and this is the real kicker — 85 percent of what we call vegetable oil is unadulterated soybean oil. But don't try and comfort yourself too much about the other 15 percent because it's not any better. It is most likely a mixture of corn, canola, soy, olive, sunflower, or other plant-based oils (via Chowhound). We use these vegetable oils to fry-up or deep fry foods, make salad dressings, or cook up some of our favorite baked goods.

However, you might want to think twice before you use vegetable oil. If fact, it's probably time to start ghosting vegetable oil all together. It might surprise you to learn that vegetable oils are a modern invention that came into existence in the 20th century. They are often produced using chemicals so they are anything but natural. Vegetable oils rose in popularity with the claim that they are "heart healthy," displacing once-favored saturated fats like butter and lard. But fast forward to the 21st century, and scientists now have concerns about the health of this oil (via Healthline).

Vegetable oil has been linked to cancer and other health issues

Consider that vegetable oil contains more omega-6 fatty acids than are healthy for the human body. We know, we've been told through the years that omega-6 fatty acids can be good for our health, but when the ratio of omega-6 fats to omega-3 fatty acids is out of whack — which can happen when you consume vegetable oils — it causes an imbalance which can wreak havoc on your body (via Thank your body). Healthline notes that this type of imbalance between omega-6 and omega-3 acids can lead to chronic inflammation and obesity, among other health concerns. But because our bodies do not naturally produce these essential fats, it is critical we choose other oils like olive or coconut to meet this requirement.

Vegetable oils have also been linked to several diseases. Australian celebrity chef, Pete Evans told Daily Mail Australia, "Steer well clear of vegetable oils and margarine as these are what contribute to heart disease, cancer and other chronic diseases." And he isn't wrong in his thinking. Per Medical News Today, when we heat vegetable oil, its antioxidants undergo a chemical reaction where substances that can be potentially problematic for your health enter the equation. These substances have been associated with some cancers, Alzheimer's, and Parkinson's. So, the next time you reach for vegetable oil, reach right on past it. Thank Your Body instead suggests using avocado oil, tallow, or palm oil.