The Viral TikTok Egg Hack Might Be More Dangerous Than You Thought

Eggs and the microwave simply do not mix. A microwave is convenient, we get it. When you're in a hurry to get to work or tired and just can't bear the thought of breaking out a frying pan or pot to cook something up in, the microwave is your best friend. But take it from us when we say, you do not want to jump on board the TikTok bandwagon for poaching eggs in the microwave. Many have done the research for you, and the risks outweigh the convenience by a longshot. 

We concede TikTok has definitely shown us some cooking hacks that are worth trying (hello baked feta pasta); however, the latest viral trick of cooking poached eggs in the microwave is not one of them. Per The Courier, the microwave method of poaching an egg that has people so infatuated involves a mug full of hot water, a little salt, a splash of vinegar, an egg that's free from its shell, and microwaving it all for about 60 seconds. If you give it a google, you will find this hack is quite popular, with one TikTok video of the hack receiving over 55K likes. But recently, one woman in the U.K. who tried poaching her eggs in the microwave ended up with a trip to the emergency room for some pretty severe burns on her visage and has been sharing her harrowing experience and the extent of her injuries. 

The TikTok poached egg hack can cause serious burns

According to The South African, Chantelle Conway cracked an egg into a cup of boiling water and popped it into the microwave for 10 seconds. At the conclusion of the cooking time, she took the cup out of the microwave and placed a cold spoon into the boiling water to retrieve the egg. This action was the catalyst which resulted in the boiling water spewing all over her face and neck. Conway told the publication that it was the most severe pain "I've ever experienced in my life, and I've had two natural childbirths."

In a series of TikTok messages, Conway shared her thoughts and feelings. She explained that she is lucky she can see and is warning TikTokers not to try this hack. Conway also said she is not certain what went wrong, telling viewers in a TikTok video with almost half a million views that she has been doing this hack for almost two years, but this time she was just "not so lucky." She said in one video, "I've literally burned my full face and my neck off." That's enough of a PSA to put this viral hack to bed.

And it should be noted that this is not the first time, and unfortunately might not be the last, this poached egg and microwave trick has not gone right. The Mirror reported in April 2021 that Áine Lynch also tried this hack, and it sent her to the E.R. with burns as well.